Anchorage Caucus - West High School
We are expecting a large turnout for this historic presidential nomination. Here are a few tips to have fun at the caucus.
KNOW YOUR HOUSE DISTRICT
If you don’t know your House District, check your voter registration card or call the Alaska Democratic Party at (907) 258-3050.
Those living in Anchorage House Districts 15-28 will caucus at West High School, 1700 Hillcrest Dr, Anchorage, AK 99517. Doors open at 9:00 AM and the program begins at 10:00 AM. You must be present and registered by 10:45 AM to vote.
If you live in Eagle River House Districts 13 and 14 your caucus location is the Eagle River Town Center, 12001 Business Blvd, Eagle River, AK 99577. Doors at the Eagle River Town Center will open at 9:30 AM.
If you need further assistance with identifying your House District please call the Alaska Democratic Party at (907) 258-3050.
PARKING WILL BE LIMITED
We highly encourage all caucus goers to carpool, take public transportation, bike, or walk to West High School.
Overflow parking will be available at:
- Romig Middle School | 2500 Minnesota Dr, Anchorage, AK 99503
- Lutheran Church of Hope | 1847 W. Northern Lights Blvd.
- Sear's Mall in front of the old Carrs | 600 E. Northern Lights Blvd. (Shuttle service provided beginning at 8:30 AM)
The following People Mover buses will be operating on Saturday morning to drop you off near West High School:
- BUS 7 will pick up at the Downtown Transit Center at 9:36 AM and 8:36 AM. Get off at the Northern Lights & Spenard stop.
- BUS 3 will also pick up at the Downtown Transit Center at 8:37 AM and 9:37 AM. Get off at the Northern Lights/Benson & C St stop.
Doors open at 9:00 AM and the program begins at 10:00 AM. You must be present and registered by 10:45 AM to vote.
Upon arrival, locate your House District number on one of the maps placed near the entrances to help you locate your House District number.
Then, take a Voter Contact Card found at the entrances, fill out the necessary information and bring it to your district sign-in table.
You will be able to register to vote or change your party affiliation to Democrat at the caucus. Visit the voter registration table BEFORE signing in if you are not currently registered to vote or registered as a Democrat. Or, print, complete and bring with you this voter registration form to minimize your time in line.
If you are a registered Democrat, then locate the sign-in table for your House District identified by signs on and above the tables. When you sign in you will be given a voter card that will allow you to cast your vote in the caucus. You will also receive a caucus map to help you find where to go.
Once you're signed in, you will move into the auditorium for a brief program.
When the program is complete it will be time to vote! Voting will take place in rooms assigned for each House District throughout West High School. The caucus map, signs, and volunteers will show you where to go.
Once in your designated room, a caucus leader will lead you through the voting process.
Delegates to the state convention will then be elected in proportion to the votes each presidential candidate receives. To learn more about how to become a delegate click here.
OPPORTUNITY TO RUN FOR OFFICE
Following the vote for the party’s presidential nominee and the election of delegates, Democrats will elect officers for their House District Organizations at the caucuses.
The following officers will be elected for each House District:
- District Chair
- State Central Committee member
- Young Democrat member of the State Central Committee (individuals 35 and younger qualify for this position)
- Vice Chair
- Treasurer (for Districts that raise money)
For information on District Officer duties, see page 23 of the Party Plan of Organization.
ANCHORAGE REGIONAL ELECTIONS
At 1:00 PM, the Anchorage Democrats will convene in the West High Auditorium to elect the following regional officers:
- 4 Anchorage Vice Chairs to serve on the State Party's Executive Committee (2 males & 2 females). For more information on the duties, see page 26 of the Party Plan of Organization.
- Anchorage Democrats President
- Anchorage Democrats Vice President
- Anchorage Democrats Secretary
- Anchorage Democrats Treasurer