The Alaska Democratic Party seeks an energetic, enthusiastic field organizer to play a key role on our 2017-2018 team. This full-time position will work with ADP staff and officers to build our local party organization and win elections; the position recruits and trains volunteers for mission-critical projects, including canvasses, phone banks and editorial projects. The successful applicant will be a self-starter, highly organized and a good communicator.
Responsibilities – The position will:
- Recruit and match volunteers to organizational needs and opportunities;
- Train, schedule and supervise volunteers;
- Organize and supervise canvasses and phone banks;
- Oversee entry and maintenance of volunteer data in Votebuilder;
- Create volunteer materials including scripts, canvass and phone lists;
- Appreciate and recognize volunteers for their contributions, motivating them to return;
- Track volunteer statistics; and
- Work with local party officers and organizations
- Develop relationships with community organizations
- Serve as a passionate and professional ambassador for the Alaska Democratic Party
- Work collaboratively with State Party’s Data Director and position reports to the Executive Director.
Skills and Qualifications – The position requires:
- Professional or volunteer experience on a Democratic local, state or statewide political campaign;
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate people to accomplish specific tasks;
- Must demonstrate cultural competency with diverse audiences
- Competence in using basic office systems including the Internet, databases and Microsoft Office.
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Knowledge of Alaska issues, Alaska community involvement and Alaska contacts a plus.
Compensation: $36,000 annual salary, plus health, dental and vision benefits.
How to Apply: Send resume, cover letter and three references to Jay Parmley, Executive Director, Alaska Democratic Party @ email@example.com.
Deadline to apply: Friday, April 28, 2017 and/or until position is filled.
2017 Summer Internships with the Alaska Democratic Party
The Alaska Democratic Party seeks three motivated, hardworking students to assist our team this summer. Interns will share a variety of general assignments and gain knowledge and proficiency in a specific discipline. This will be a comprehensive introduction into the political campaign arena. No prior political or campaign experience is required.
When: June – August, 2017
Where: Anchorage, Alaska
Who: Current college students or young professionals with a strong interest in politics
Interns will be responsible for completing an array of general tasks. Examples may include working with ADP staff to identify and define volunteer projects; assisting with volunteer recruitment; scheduling, training, and supervising volunteers; canvassing; phone banking; and covering administrative and front desk responsibilities.
Interns also will have the opportunity to partner with a member of ADP staff in one or more of these areas:
1) Data: learn to manipulate the voter file system, upload and maintain data bases, hardware/software support, assist with voter identification and targeting.
2) Communications: engage in graphic design, write social media and website content, compile news clips, assist with media outreach.
3) Fundraising: learn skills that will make you an asset to any campaign.
4) Research: find and analyze information in public records and other sources.
The Party will pay $10/hour for 20 – 25 hours/week. Interns are responsible for finding their own housing and transportation, though the Party may be able to assist with accommodation on a case-by-case basis. The Party is willing to assist Interns in obtaining class credit for a completed Internship.
Please email a brief cover letter explaining your interest in the 2017 Summer Internship, along with a 1-page resume and three references to Jay Parmley, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please also specify your preferred area of specialization. Deadline for applications is May 15, 2017.